The Benefits of Babywearing
Babywearing is practised all around the world. It is the practice of wearing or carrying your baby or child in a sling or other carrier. There are so many benefits to babywearing. I hope to give a brief explanation of the benefits of carrying your baby, and links to scientific research.
Baby carriers are versatile, comfortable, and can be economical. Most baby carriers can be used indoors and out until your baby has grown and is happy to walk everywhere. There are also enormous emotional, psychological and educational benefits of carrying your baby close to you.
The following are the main benefits of baby wearing (and this list is by no means exhaustive!):
- • Wearing your baby helps develop a secure mutual attachment;
- • It allows both parents, or any caregiver, to develop a deep bond with the infant;
- • Babywearing increases parental sensitivity to a baby's needs - you learn to read there noises and expressions so much quicker;
- • Babywearing simulates the sensations of pressure, motion, warmth and security of the womb;
- • Carrying your baby in a sling reduces their level of stress;
- • Babywearing can greatly reduce crying and fussiness. It also helps your tired baby fall asleep;
- • Babies sleep longer and more comfortably when in a sling;
- • Sling babies have a reduced incidence of colic and are less susceptible to vomiting and excess spitting-up;
- • Toddlers who were/are carried in slings initiate separation sooner, and become more self-reliant;
- • Babywearing has been shown to strongly benefit premature infants;
- • The natural movement and stimulation provided by being in a sling promotes neurological development;
- • Babywearing gives children the message that they are safe, secure and loved;
- • Babywearing is the most comfortable way to hold your baby. You can use a sling on your front, back or hip;
- • Wearing your baby in a sling provides them with constant and easy access to breastfeeding, and makes nursing in public easy and discreet.
Wishing you happy babywearing!
Owner, Love To Be Natural & Trageschule UK trained babywearing consultant.